I don’t know where the idea arrived that David danced naked before the Lord. But that is one of the very common statements thrown at believers to excuse all kinds of behavior, especially Rick Pino type of services.

The only place I found even a mention that might could refer to undress was in Thomas Nelson’s Bible Dictionary, but that is a very poor resource. It implies that all David wore was the equivalent of a loin cloth. But just a simple reading of Scripture will show that the ephod was much more than a loin cloth.

“Then David danced before the Lord with all his might; and David was wearing [only] a linen ephod [loincloth, kilt, or apron]” (2 Samuel 6:14). Whatever garment David was wearing, it apparently scandalized Michal, who accused him of lewd, base behavior-of “uncovering himself in the eyes of the maids” (2 Samuel 6:20).

(from Nelson’s Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Copyright © 1986, Thomas Nelson Publishers)

Just because a jealous individual says that someone is doing wrong does not make it so. From the punishment Michal received, it is obvious that she was the one in the wrong.

It is obvious from the Bible just exactly what David wore.

2 Samuel 6:14 (ESV) And David danced before the Lord with all his might. And David was wearing a linen ephod.

1 Chronicles 15:27 (ESV) David was clothed with a robe of fine linen, as also were all the Levites who were carrying the ark, and the singers and Chenaniah the leader of the music of the singers. And David wore a linen ephod.

An ephod was a priestly garment worn over a simple robe; there was nothing immodest about it. David just had simple (humble) clothing, not his kingly garb that would have designated him as above the others, he was dressed as the rest of Levites bearing the ark. David was humbled before his Lord and the ark.

David danced humbly before the Lord. Not in underwear, but in the simple ephod that everyone serving the Lord would wear. This was a humble person’s attire, not sinful or shameful. Michal accused David of dancing like a common man and beneath his station in life, no robe or crown to set him off as more important than others. An ephod was worn by the most simple servants of the Lord:

1 Samuel 2:18 Samuel was ministering before the Lord, a boy clothed with a linen ephod. ESV

Wearing a linen ephod was symbolic of serving before the Lord, it was the attire of the priests. David was serving just as if he was a priest.

1 Sam 2:18 But Samuel ministered before the Lord, being a child, girded with a linen ephod. KJV

1 Chron 15:27 David was clothed with a robe of fine linen, as also were all the Levites who were carrying the ark, and the singers and Chenaniah the leader of the music of the singers. And David wore a linen ephod. ESV

1 Samuel 22:18 Then the king said to Doeg, “You turn and strike the priests.” And Doeg the Edomite turned and struck down the priests, and he killed on that day eighty-five persons who wore the linen ephod. ESV

The word dance that is referred to is:‎

raqad (raw-kad’); a primitive root; properly, to stamp, i.e. to spring about (wildly or for joy):

KJV – dance, jump, leap, skip.

Which very well could have meant that David was skipping and leaping. He was also playing an instrument. That word for dance is not the same word translated as dance in Exodus 32:19 when the Israelites were dancing wildly in front of the Golden Calf.

~ Dance

The ancient dance was very different from that common among Western nations. It was usually the part of the women only (Exodus 15:20; Judges 11:34; comp. 5:1). Hence the peculiarity of David’s conduct in dancing before the ark of the Lord (2 Samuel 6:14). The women took part in it with their timbrels. Michal should, in accordance with the example of Miriam and others, have herself led the female choir, instead of keeping aloof on the occasion and “looking through the window.” David led the choir “uncovered”, i.e., wearing only the ephod or linen tunic. He thought only of the honour of God, and forgot himself.

(from Easton’s Bible Dictionary, PC Study Bible formatted electronic database Copyright © 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

~ DAVID

… David brought it up [the ark], stripping off his royal robe in the presence of the symbol of Jehovah’s throne, the true King, and in a linen ephod, to mark his assuming the priestly along with the kingly function, “dancing before the Lord with all his might,” …

(from Fausset’s Bible Dictionary, Electronic Database Copyright © 1998, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

~ 2 Sam 6:12-19

On this occasion David laid aside his imperial purple, and put on a plain linen ephod, which was light and convenient for dancing, and was used in religious exercises by those who were no priests, for Samuel wore one, 1 Samuel 2:18. That great prince thought it no disparagement to him to appear in the habit of a minister to the ark.

(from Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible, PC Study Bible Formatted Electronic Database Copyright © 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All Rights reserved.)

We should all humble ourselves before the Lord and serve Him with the sincerity of David.

Tags: , , , , , ,

14 commenters so far

1.  Maxine
January 12th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thank you for this discussion about David’s dance. It has cleared up MUCH for us.

Maxine,

I’m glad you found it helpful. It amazes me how many things we have been taught that are just plain contrary to what the Bible actually says.

2.  Clifton
February 28th, 2012 at 11:54 am

Yes David did dance “naked” because he “uncovered” himself. But was he physically naked or scantily clothed? Absolutely not! The thought of it is absurd. What David shamelessly uncovered to the eyes of his servants was his heart (or love) for the LORD.

[Background]
Unlike Saul who acted foolishly in fear of the Philistines, and did not wait for Samuel to come to Gilgal as Jehovah had spoken (1 Sam 10:8-12, 1 Sam 13:8-13) – David instead obeyed the LORD (2 Sam 5:22-25) which eventually led to David being able to bring the Ark to Jerusalem.

David uncovered his nakedness (his heart) before the LORD but in truth the LORD already knew David’s heart. But now your [Saul's] kingdom shall not continue: the LORD has sought him a man after his own heart[David], and the LORD has commanded him to be ruler over his people, because you have not kept that which the LORD commanded you. 1 Sam 13:14

The LORD knew Saul’s heart, he knew David’s heart, and he knew Michal’s heart. And he knows the heart of every living being. For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
(Heb 4:12)

Like Adam and Eve we are all naked before the LORD. (That’s why we need Jesus to cover us.) David was not honoring himself as Michal suggested. David did it before the LORD.

Because David did what was right in the sight of the LORD, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the case of Uriah the Hittite. 1 Kings 15:5

When we are on the LORD’s side, we don’t have to worry about being uncovered.

Thoughts???

Clifton,

I can’t disagree with anything you wrote.

The issue was humility and not the clothes themselves. We all should be so humble and seek to serve the Lord not as a king serving but as a lowly servant. As Matthew Henry said, “That great prince thought it no disparagement to him to appear in the habit of a minister to the ark.” David knew there would be a real and true King of whom he was unworthy to stand before and demand honor and respect. David just desired to serve as a lowly servant his King.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Strange how Satan wants to distract some into a discussion of clothing, or lack thereof, while he attempts to hide the real issue of humility before the Lord.

Clifton,

That would preach. :)

3.  Debbie V.
March 5th, 2012 at 11:51 am

Thanks for the straightforward explanation.
My 87-yr-old mom just got into this discussion with her server at an assisted living home yesterday. My mom was pretty sure David was not “nekid”. :)

Debbie,

I’m glad I could help clear up this issue. Strange how that false idea is so common today, but during your mom’s day everyone knew of course David wasn’t “nekid”.

4.  Laura
March 8th, 2012 at 10:11 am

I simply cannot explain how God used this rightly dividing the word of God to teach me the truth about David’s dancing before the Lord. Thank you so much for sharing the truth and I thank my Lord for sending me here to this cite.

Laura,

I’m glad this was helpful. I also hope that it helps kindle a desire to search into God’s Word and really see what is there. You can always go deeper and deeper in study and find the answers to all of life’s questions with the aid of the Holy Spirit.

Laura Reply:

Yes it does. The fire has been Ignited. Thank you. I am called of God to preach and I am currently enrolled at Liberty University. But I learn so much more when it is just me and the Lord. He is the best teacher of the truth and I love HIM!!!

Laura,

I’m glad you desire to delve down deep in the truth of God’s Word.

Have you ever seriously studied what the Lord says about preaching in the church and the role of women based purely on Scripture? Any lady heading to college, even a Bible college, needs to research the matter of our role and what God desires for women. Many times others will lead us astray unless we are well grounded in the Word ourselves. Sometimes even our own hearts will lead us astray.

Berean Wife

5.  Sinner Saved by Grace!
March 22nd, 2012 at 8:56 am

I’m just curious how you’d respond when reading further in 2 Samuel 6:20. He certainly WAS naked in front of the servants (females) and was controversial enough that Michal used that to try and disparage David.
The bible doesn’t mention whether David was (or wasn’t) dancing (read “worshipping”) while disrobing and putting on the ephod. For all we know, he WAS dancing before the Lord naked. Frankly, I don’t care if he was. The condition of his heart is what should concern readers of the Word…not semantics.
I certainly have been moved in ways that might seem odd to our current society’s views. But even if it’s hitting my knees when I’m on the brink of suicide, just in awe of the reminder of His grace and provision for me…society views that as “odd” and “charismatic”. I call it “thankful”.
So I ask, “Who cares if he danced before the Lord naked?” I’m just glad there was God present for him to dance too!

Sinner Saved By Grace,

I would respond by pointing out that the Bible is very clear what David wore (2 Samuel 6:14, 1 Chronicles 15:27) – a linen ephod. The Bible does not mince words if David had been naked the Bible would have said so. In 1 Samuel 19:24 the Bible is very clear that Saul stripped off his clothes and lay naked and in Genesis 9:20-25 the Bible states that Ham saw his father’s nakedness and was cursed for it.

2 Samuel 6:20 is a wife who despised her husband according to 2 Samuel 6:16. What person who despises another would not exaggerate and make unfounded claims? David trampled on Michal’s pride by being no different from those who served before the Lord in linen ephods. She wanted him to remember he was the king and should be honored as such. She was too prideful to be seen celebrating the return of the ark along with her husband. Just because Michal says David was uncovered does not make it mean he was naked. Vulgar meant common, not crude and naked, its meaning has changed recently to mean offensive. The Bible itself was written in Koine Greek, vulgar Greek not the Greek of the elite. God also judged Michal by not giving her any children.

Did you not actually read the post though?

The flawed idea of David dancing naked is a new concept only propagated in modern days, if I had my guess with the pentecostal movement, if you read older church fathers you will not find David dancing naked. David dancing naked is a concept held by those who do not bother to read the Scripture. They latch onto one or two phrases and thus develop their own theology.

ron Reply:

Dear SSBG,
If all that mattered was the condition of his heart, I might think that his heart was in the wrong place had he been dancing like a stripper. Can a stripper’s heart be right with God while stripping? Remember this is the same king that, when he saw a woman bathing, he committed adultery. I doubt he was naked.

Jewel Reply:

Pagan religions danced naked and were lacivious. I think this lady protests to much to believe she doesn’t care if he danced naked. Why try to defend dancing naked when it is obvious from scripture that he was not? Would you strip in church and dance? God forbid it!

[Reply]

Yep bereanwife is right here Reply:

I completely agree with bereanwife. I have read that over and over and over and never once has it said that he danced so hard that he came out of his clothes (which is what most of us have been taught). Him being uncovered to me means that it was an unbecoming the characteristic of a King. In her eyes, he didn’t have the attributes of a king because in verse 21 it says:

David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the Lord.”

So she was already upset because he was in the position. She called him vain – it had nothing to do with nakedness at all. In slang today it would be like, “My my you really showed yourself today!” or “You really showed your @@@”

6.  friend
September 4th, 2012 at 10:36 am

I disagree with you. Why is it so important for christians to make up things to apologize for someone’s behavior? Their were TWO kinds of Ephods אפוד (pronounced AyFOWD). This particular type was an outer garment, which was a VERY LONG strip of cloth. It was approximately the width of the wearer’s shoulders. When folded it in half it would measure from one’s shoulders to one’s mid thigh. It had a hole cut in the center for the wearer’s head. Half of the cloth draped the chest and anterior and the other half draped the posterior. It was NOT sewn together on the sides, but was held in place by a belt. If David had leaped and skipped while wearing this linen ephod…he may have exposed himself unintentionally a few times. It is NOT necessary to apologize for his behavior or for the LORD’S seeming excusing of it any more than it was necessary for Michal to make her haughty, self-righteous comment to him.

Friend,

You are welcome to disagree with me all you want but what does the Bible say about the matter?

I’m not apologizing for David’s behavior. I really don’t care whether David danced naked or not. The nakedness is not the issue. Twisting Scripture is the issue.

These state very clearly what David wore – a linen ephod and a robe of fine linen, just like all the other Levites and singers. Can we not agree with that?

Those who wore the linen ephod also wore linen undergarments.

Exodus 28:42-43 (ESV)
42 You shall make for them linen undergarments to cover their naked flesh. They shall reach from the hips to the thighs;
43 and they shall be on Aaron and on his sons when they go into the tent of meeting or when they come near the altar to minister in the Holy Place, lest they bear guilt and die. This shall be a statute forever for him and for his offspring after him.

Remember this is the second time that David attempted to bring the Ark back into the city. He did everything by the book because of what had happened with Uzzah (2 Samuel 6:1-10). He would not have dishonored the Lord by omitting the linen undergarments.

Thus David did not dance naked!!!! Period. So how have I made up things?

Nakedness

The Lord has no qualms saying if someone is naked.

Genesis 2:25 (ESV) And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.

Genesis 9:22-23 (ESV)
22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brothers outside.
23 Then Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father. Their faces were turned backward, and they did not see their father’s nakedness.

1 Samuel 19:24 (ESV) And he too stripped off his clothes, and he too prophesied before Samuel and lay naked all that day and all that night. Thus it is said, “Is Saul also among the prophets?”

Isaiah 20:3-4 (ESV)
3 Then the Lord said, “As my servant Isaiah has walked naked and barefoot for three years as a sign and a portent against Egypt and Cush,
4 so shall the king of Assyria lead away the Egyptian captives and the Cushite exiles, both the young and the old, naked and barefoot, with buttocks uncovered, the nakedness of Egypt.

Mark 14:51-52 (ESV)
51 And a young man followed him, with nothing but a linen cloth about his body. And they seized him,
52 but he left the linen cloth and ran away naked.

Acts 19:15-16 (ESV)
15 But the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?”
16 And the man in whom was the evil spirit leaped on them, mastered all of them and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

Does the Lord say that David danced naked? No, He does not. So who are we to add to God’s Word by saying David danced naked?

Does Michal’s complaint hold more value than God’s Word? I should hope not. Did Michal say David danced naked? No. Michal said David was uncovered, exposed and like a vulgar fellow.

Can Michal’s charge even be trusted?

1 Samuel 18:21 (ESV) Saul thought, “Let me give her to him, that she may be a snare for him and that the hand of the Philistines may be against him.” Therefore Saul said to David a second time, “You shall now be my son-in-law.”

1 Samuel 19:17 (ESV) Saul said to Michal, “Why have you deceived me thus and let my enemy go, so that he has escaped?” And Michal answered Saul, “He said to me, ‘Let me go. Why should I kill you?’”

Michal is know to have problems such that Saul said she would be a snare to David and Michal lied to say that David threatened her.

We must take the full entirety of God’s Word without adding to it or taking away from it.

If God wanted us to think that David danced naked, God would have told us “David danced naked.” Otherwise we are twisting God’s Word to say what it does not say.

7.  ron
February 24th, 2013 at 9:33 am

Hi, This was very helpful as I am preparing a message on worship. However, just so you know, raqad does actually mean to dance in Hebrew. I live in Israel and in modern Hebrew we use the word לרקוד. Secondly, if David, a king, was willing to humble himself and rejoice before the Lord with such freedom, why don’t we see this type of excitement for the Lord in most churches today? Thanks again for your research…

Ron,

I’m glad you found the information helpful. Real Bible study is so much better than just accepting things we’ve been told without checking them out.

Thank you for sharing about raqad. Do you happen to know what would be the difference between kārar in 2 Samuel 6:14, rāqad in 1 Chronicles 15:29 and meḥōlāh Exodus 32:19?

We have a lack of enthusiasm for anything concerning the Bible, worship or the Holiness of God. :(

8.  Jewel
March 29th, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Thank you for what you have written on this subject. I was shocked to hear this belief today from a believer who was using it as an excuse to describe herself dancing naked in a Christian chat room! I remember reading about David dancing but nothing about him being naked. I shared your article with the chat room to correct this error. Thank you!

Jewel,

It still amazes me how many times everyday this article is looked at. This is several years old but I don’t think a day goes by in which several people are found searching for “Did David dance naked?” There has been quite a bit of false teaching or inacurate assumptions going on for decades. I hope more and more people will seek the truth in Scripture and clear up their errors in belief.

Thank you for helping clear up errors.

9.  Gumblefur
April 17th, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thank you for this. I tried to refute this with someone I was an assistant to once and was unsuccessful. This article does what I was unable to do. There seems to be so much emphasis these days in trying to see more than is there in scripture. It is read it with western eyes unable to correctly interpret because the desire is to see more baseness than is there!

Gumblefur,

You are welcome.

This one article written in 2009 is looked at more than 10 times a day. People are starving for the real truth and not just the Biblical fiction they have often been taught in churches. As I told someone just recently we must take the pure written Word of God and fit our ideology into that frame work. We cannot take our personal ideology and then look for Biblical verses to support it. The Bible is clear that David wore a linen ephod, which by no means was a loin cloth. The Lord was so concerned about nakedness and the priests being exposed that He commanded the following:

Exodus 28:42-43 (ESV)

Linen undergarments, not the ephod, to cover from hip to thighs of the priests to cover their nakedness. The Lord did not even want steps to go up to the altar so that the nakedness of the priests would not be seen.

Exodus 20:24 (ESV) And you shall not go up by steps to my altar, that your nakedness be not exposed on it.’

Abstaining from nakedness is important to the Lord and it is important to those who seek to glorify Him.

10.  Chris
June 22nd, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Thank you so much. Now i know the truth. God bless you

Chris,

It is so much fun to seek out the answers to your questions in the Bible. I hope this will encourage you to do it more often.

11.  Ritu Johnny
July 7th, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Scripture doesn’t say either David was naked or not, she was kinda flirting him that he uncovered himself which he accepted. And scripture doesn’t say she is under some kinda curse because of what she spake. Don’t try to judge the dignitaries (i think every person of Bible is great because they are in Bible). Glory to Jesus Christ.

Ritu Johnny,

Scriptures does say clearly that David wore a linen ephod (2 Samuel 6:14, 1 Chronicles 15:27).

Just because someone accuses another of something does not make it fact.

2 Samuel 6:22 is clear that Michal was not blessed by God with a child for the rest of her life. There is a reason that is included in the Bible.

Everyone in the Bible is not great. Evil, wicked people are also in the Bible.

12.  Dillard
December 1st, 2013 at 1:52 pm

The Word of God does not change. We as humans attempt to define God AND His Word being finite in our being. God is infinite and pure. How can mankind truly describe a God that created a sextillion amount of stars just within our universe?
I love the point of worship and how the Lord requires us to “take off” our “royal” clothes (pride, money, attitudes), and to come HUMBLY before Him.
Great studies done by all and RIGHTLY dividing the Word of Truth! King David had clothes on and wore humble attire!

Dillard,

Thank you.

Oh, if we all could come truly humbly before our Lord to worship Him.

13.  David
January 4th, 2014 at 8:39 am

thank you for sharing all these references and clarifying on this topic. What I would like to recieved more information about, is on the topic of dancing under the church framework. As I read on the history of dancing (Hisotry of dancing- wikipedia) , I understand some points: (please correct me if I am wrong)
1. Ancient dancing was originally in pagan worshiping. The Israelites may have taking it from the Egyptians.
2. Dancing in the bible was a women task. Perphas, it was another reason Michal was ashamed of David when she saw him dancing.
3. There is no biblical refenrece about dancing in the sanctuary religious services of the Israelites.

So my question is where do we place the dancing as a expression of worship in the Christian churches today? The Biblical references point at celebration activities suchas : wining a war, or David carrying the arc to Jerusalem. But everything else in history is very pagan based when it comes to dancing. Sorry about this (maybe) controversial point.

Thanks! in advance for your input.

David

David,

Dancing is not something that is covered in the Bible other than in passing references. We aren’t given instructions as to when and how. Typically though you are correct that references to dancing were typically during times of celebration and done by the women or children. Never is dancing referred to as a manner of worshiping of the one True God, although it is mentioned in Psalms in light of Praise. Nevertheless dancing did occur before the Golden Calf in Exodus. We all know that was not a good thing! Dancing daughters were kidnapped and carried off to be brides (Judges 21). Personally I don’t think that was a good thing!

The are a couple of references to dancing and praise in the Psalms aren’t necessarily in reference to religious services.

But the best answer to the question of dancing and worship for believers today is:

Ephesians 5:18-21 (ESV)
18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,
19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with all your heart,
20 giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
21 submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Colossians 3:16-17 (ESV)
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Nothing about dancing.

Hope that helps some.

14.  Rehema
April 7th, 2014 at 6:51 am

Thanks for the this study. Is dancing in wedding ceremonies bad here in Africa we usually dance alot on wedding occasions

Rehema,

The Bible does not condemn dancing. However, we must see what other Biblical principles apply to the dancing. Is it sensual and risks causing others to sin? Does it have meaning that contradicts Scripture? Those are things you will have to use the Bible to answer your question about dancing in African weddings.

The point of this post was that David did not dance naked. David was clothed with a linen ephod.

2 Trackbacks/Pings

1. Berean Wife » David Danced Naked and Other Common Misconceptions    Feb 07 2012 / 4pm:

[...] is obvious that other people are doing the same at times. Back in 2009 I posted Did David Dance Before the Lord Naked? That was three years ago! However, it is consistently being visited on the website. It averages [...]

2. David Danced Naked?! (via Berean Wife) | The Master's Slave    Feb 08 2012 / 1pm:

[...] is obvious that other people are doing the same at times. Back in 2009 I posted Did David Dance Before the Lord Naked? That was three years ago! However, it is consistently being visited on the website. It averages [...]

Please leave a response if you desire to

Name (Anonymous is fine)
Mail (optional - will not be published)
Website (if one)