In Would You Have Taken Your Parents Advice? I shared that I wouldn’t have taken my parent’s advice about a potential spouse. However, I could honestly at this point say that at least my oldest two children would listen and consider advice from my husband and I. They are the only ones who are teens and mature at this point. The others will remain to be seen.
Why do I think my children would listen when I wouldn’t have?
I don’t really know except that their life has been so different from mine growing up that honestly it is like comparing apples to oranges.
- Intact family
- Christian faith
- Living out our Christian faith daily (although flawed at best)
- Different type of church life
- Less peer pressure
- Parental guidance for choosing friends
- Living life as a family instead of individuals together in a house
- Friends with similar values
- Seeing others who have valued their parents input
- Preaching to support the concept of parental guidance
Although the proof is in the pudding, or in other words until the event happens we won’t really know what will happen.
Do you have any clue why your children might listen better than you would have?
Or do we as parents always self-deceive ourselves?