True Church Conference 2012
True Church Conference live-streamed.
Friday, February 17, 2012
Message 3 – Barry King – Storms that Reveal the Need for Reformation
The text for the sermon is Ecclesiastes 12:9-14.
A. The Primacy of Wisdom
1. Wisdom is taken for granted, it is assumed, it is presupposed. It is the principle thing.
2. The brevity of life, the certainty of death, and impending judgment is certain.
3. We cannot assume wisdom any longer. It has been conspicuously absent.
4. We face storms because we lack the wisdom to live in a holy manner. We face storms of our own making and reveal the need for reformation in our own lives.
B. The Priority of the Word
1. The Word is referenced repeatedly in the text. Words of wisdom, words of delight, words of truth.
2. The words of truth must be prioritized. Words of truth guard the congregation.
3. We live in a day of much error, much heresy. We have the responsibility to guard our people by giving them the words of truth.
4. The word is all-sufficient to guard our people.
5. The words of wisdom must not only guard, they must also guide. They must be a goad. We must teach the rebellious and stubborn.
6. We must preach through precept and we must live by example. People need to know that the way of a transgressor is hard.
7. The word is to be used as a weapon against the world.
8. We also need the words of delight to gladden the people. The preacher must seek to find words of delight.
C. The Problem of Weariness
1. Beware of anything beyond wisdom and the words of truth.
2. There is a weariness in chasing after anything that is beyond being a biblical Christian. All paths apart from the word of God lead to a weariness of the flesh.
3. See Isaiah 40:28-31 and Galatians 6:6-9. We must not get weary and give up. God season is not necessarily our idea of a season.