True Church Conference 2012
True Church Conference live-streamed.
Friday, February 17, 2012
Message 5 – Roy Hargrave – the Ministry of Reconciliation
The text of the sermon is 2 Corinthians 5:16-21.
The man of God should seek to persuade others of his integrity. It is not enough to preach the word, it must be done with sincerity.
The context of the text is insurrection. Man is in rebellion against his creator. And the enmity that man has for God was not instigated by God at all. Man had no reason to rebel against God. And man took no initiative in reconciliation. God initiated reconciliation. In fact, sinful man cannot seek reconciliation.
A. A new spiritual perception (see verse 16)
1. We regard no one according to the flesh. No more carnality. Turn away from the flesh.
2. We do not look upon Jesus Christ after the way of the flesh.
3. The outer man is perishing, but the inner man is being renewed day by day.
B. A new spiritual persuasion (verse 17)
1. We are in Christ. What does it mean to be in Christ?
a. to belong to Christ
b. to be a member of Christ
c. to be clothed in the righteousness of Christ
d. to be judged according to the imputed righteousness of Christ
2. We are to live in the power of Christ.
C. A new spiritual prescription (verse 17)
1. A new creation comes from an alien imputed righteousness.
2. Man’s original righteousness was lost in the fall of Adam.
3. The righteousness of Jesus Christ is far greater than the righteousness that could have come from Adam.
4. All things are made new.
D. A new spiritual position (verse 18)
1. We are reconciled to God through Jesus Christ.
2. And Jesus gives to us the ministry of reconciliation.
3. The manner of reconciliation is from God toward sinful man.
4. Reconciliation is possible because of the blood of Jesus Christ.
E. A new spiritual participation (verses 18-20)
1. We are entrusted with the ministry of reconciliation.
2. We are entrusted with the message of reconciliation.
3. We are empowered to preach reconciliation. Why?
a. We can sympathize with sinners.
b. We know the joy of salvation.