True Church Conference 2012
True Church Conference live-streamed.
Friday, February 17, 2012
Message 4 – Jeff Noblit – The Primacy of Preaching the Word of God
The text of the sermon is 2 Timothy 3:16-4:8.
The scriptures are infallible.
The scriptures are all-sufficient.
The scriptures are to be preached.
A. The charge of the gravity of the work (2 Timothy 4:1).
1. The charge is given in the name of God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.
2. The reference is accountability to an avenging God and His judge, His Son Jesus Christ.
3. The charge is given in view of the kingdom of Jesus Christ and its soon appearing on earth.
4. We should tremble when we think about the charge to preach the word.
B. The charge to consistency in the work (2 Timothy 4:2)
1. Preach the word in season and out of season.
2. We are too weak in the pulpit. We say “It’s no use” too easily.
C. The charge to endure hardship (2 Timothy 4:5)
1. We need to endure in overcoming dullness.
2. There are times people will not endure the teaching of sound doctrine.
3. There will be times of desertion (verse 3). People will turn away to teachers who tickle their unsettled ears. We must not become preachers who give the wayward what they are looking for. We must be preachers who give the wayward what they need.
4. There will be divisions (verse 4). Too many groups and factions are built around men and man’s teaching.
5. There will be depression. Depression is rooted in self and rooted in pride. It comes from the fear of man.
D. The charge to the continuity of the work (2 Timothy 4:6-8)
1. Preaching is a continuum. We must be faithful in our place and faithful to bring up those after us.