Some of you will corrupt the Word of God this next Sunday by dealing corruptly with the text before you.
1) Emphasizing minor points while ignoring the major ones.
2) Ignoring authorial intent.
I’m a recovering allegorist. “My name is Chipley McQueen Thornton and I’m a recovering allegorist.”
Sufficiency of Scripture in Preaching
1) Scripture is breathed out by God. Creative breath of God.
2) Authorial intent is sufficient. It does not change.
3) The single meaning of the text is sufficient.
What is allegory? Pilgrim’s Progress
Allegorism is an interpretation which usurps the authors intent and inserts the desired meaning of the preacher. It is not deeper meaning, it is a different meaning. (A different gospel) God is no longer the author.
1) Imposing an agenda driven hermeneutic. Turning every text into evangelism.
Video example of agenda driven hermeneutic giving Luke 5:4 ‘deeper’ meaning.
Luke 5:4 And when he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”
2) Allowing the Culture into the interpretation.
3) Fanciful (fanatical) tendency allowed into the text. Every detail pregnant with meaning not given in the text.
Video example of Acts 27:19 On the third day, they threw out the ship’s tackle with their own hands.
4) Exemplarist Tendencies – Did the author intend for the text to be interpreted biographically?
5) Atomistic Tendencies – minor detail extracted and exploded from a text in order to dominate the text.
How to preach expository?
1) Minimum text – paragraph at most
2) Get the message from the text to shape the sermon. Not fit the text to the sermon.