First the disclaimers …
No, I don’t have anyone courting anyone.
No, I don’t have anyone interested in courting anyone.
No, I’m not trying to push my kids into courting.
No, I don’t have any experience with courting.
So yes this is all in theory.
Now hopefully that will limit the rumors. 😉
Had to get that out of the way for my kids sake.
Anyway back to the topic. Spring has sprung around here and with it came some weddings and wedding showers plus a multitude of other things. And kittens … (Anyone want kittens?) Thus we have had lots of opportunity to discuss the matter and watch how others have proceeded. Some have been the typical public school and dating process while others have been the homeschooling and courting method. Guess what? They are equally just as married when everything is said and done. It is the process that is the interesting part and this has been part of our discussions.
Courting Is Like Potty Training
1) Everyone has an opinion on how it should be done and many are eager to share their opinion.
2) Sometimes everyone is ready except those who should be.
3) May involve tears.
4) May take lots of time or be rather quick.
5) Many things sound great in theory but do not actually work in practice.
6) There is no magic age.
7) Patience is a virtue.
8) Watch for cues of interest.
9) Requires physical (fiscal) and emotional readiness.
10) Although the parent maybe ready, the child may not be ready or maybe the child is ready and not the parent. Sometimes everyone else but the parent and child are ready.
11) May be messy.
12) Pressure from others “Isn’t it about time … ?”
13) You can have read all the books but that doesn’t necessarily help in your particular case.
14) Sometimes observing others makes things easier.
15) In the end you often look back and think “Why was that a big deal, it wasn’t that bad?”
But like I said everything is in theory until you’ve put it into practice. 😉