This cake is very bad for you which is what makes it so good! I often take this for covered dish meals because it can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. But if you want it when it tastes best serve it still slightly warm!
Swedish Nut Cake
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (if desired)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 11×7 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, 1/2 cup nuts and baking soda. Add eggs, pineapple and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat until smooth and pour into 11×7 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 50 minutes. Don’t overcook. Cake will be moist.
- For the icing: In a large bowl, cream butter or margarine, cream cheese, 1 teaspoon vanilla and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Fold in 1/2 cup nuts. (I normally don’t add the nuts to the icing.)
I sometimes add about ¾ cup of coconut, estimated amount, to the cake batter before baking.